"Alley" Game Design Student Work by Tyler Thomas
Demo Reels and Portfolios
Make a demo reel. It's best to keep it simple so you are highlighting your work, not the graphics/titles around your work. Avoid over complicating the demo reel.
- Start with a title card, your name, type of demo reel (can even just say "2017 Demo Reel") AND a way to contact you (cell, email or both)
- black and white titles with a simple font is fine, remember you are highlighting your work not the titles
- group into sections with a title card of the project and type of work at the beginning of each section
- best most relevant work first
- Make sure you label everything. What the project is and what you did.
- Drawings and still images, you can show still images in a slide show, use a title card at the beginning of each section
- Show highlights of your work. Do not include an entire animation or short in the body of the demo reel. You can add the entire animatic/short after the
demo reel so they can watch it if they want to, but do not include it in the body of your demo reel.
- End with the title card with your name and contact info
What to include
- Put your most relevant work first. For an internship reel it is ok to include exercises and test.
- You can include artwork like photos of sculpture and paintings if they are really good. Just put them at the end of the demo reel.
- Show only your best work. Everyone has done bad work. If you include bad work you are letting people know you can not tell what is good or bad.
- You do not have to include the entire exercise/shot/test/ There might be part of the test that is really working and part that has a problem. Just show the part that works. You do not have to through out the entire test.